Sunday, July 10, 2022

Rust and WebAssembly

My New Year's resolution this year was to learn the new Rust programming language.  I wrote a Hello, World! program in Rust many years ago and started reading the Rust book last year but now I am really getting into it.  You can follow my efforts on my new GitHub account.

My older open source Java code is hosted on SourceForge.net.  Many of my applications are Java game applets.  Now that Web browsers no longer support applets, I am exploring WebAssembly which can run both in browsers and in servers.

Today I was able to deploy a game that runs in the browser by following the instructions in the book Game Development with Rust & WebAssembly by Eric Smith.  I wrote the code in Rust, compiled it to WebAssembly, and then wrapped it in a thin layer of JavaScript so that it can run in a webpage.  You can play the game online at my GameSpawn website.

No comments: